Sunday, December 5, 2010
Procedure reminder
Daddy will be having a "Denver shunt" placed this Wed., Dec. 8. They have to be at the hospital at 5:30 (!) and the procedure will be done at 7:30am. This is supposed to relieve the fluid build-up in his abdomen (which, I meant to point out in the last post, is why he and Wendi were comparing bellies -- because of the fluid and his hernia, he had to go get some suspenders!). I've read up some on this shunt, and apparently they typically use it for patients with cirrhosis of the liver, but they have occasionally used it for patients who are having problems post-surgery (like Daddy). I have some questions about all that's going on but my understanding is that the vein that the tumor was close to is compromised, and likely will not get better, and they expect the shunt to be permanent at this point. I hope to speak with the surgeon this week and get a better understanding of everything. Also, Daddy has been having significant pain in his shoulder, which his PCP has diagnosed as bursitis, but it concerns me. He has a CT scan at the end of December, so hopefully that will provide clarity on what's causing the pain. Please pray that all will go smoothly on Wed., and that he will get to come home by Fri. And pray for peace for us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment